Monday, March 19, 2012

When to say goodbye

My original plan had me spending a few months this year getting my old short stories edited and polished so I could get more content up for sale. But a couple weeks of frustration taught me that I'd need to completely rewrite them in order to get them up to my current standards.

In a couple of cases, that's fine. The Experiment is a decent way to start one of my novels coming out this year, as I wrote it specifically to help me conceive that world. F&D is another. But most of these stories would take more work to fix than it would take to put out something entirely new.

Its not easy to bury a story, even years after writing it. I have to look at it like an especially deep edit. Those character may come back somewhere, sometime, but its time to thank them for what they taught me and move on. I'll leave the old posts up on this site, of only to remind myself how far I've come, but my future publications will leave them behind.

Onward...

No comments:

Post a Comment