Friday, March 23, 2012

Experimenting with the process

I started rewriting the first book I ever submitted for publication this week. Its actually the third book I tried to write, the first two being abortive failures in every sense but what they taught me about the process. So by my count, by the time this is done it will be the sixth time I've attempted to write a book.

And what I'm noticing since I finished drafting Nomads (the fifth book I've written but the third book I'll publish) is that my drafting process has slowed down. I'm a lot more careful with my word choice and sentence structure, and I've actaully used the backspace key on the first run through a scene. As a consequence, my words per hour have fallen from 600ish to about 200ish.

My hope is that taking more time on the initial pass will cut down the extent ant number of edits needed for polish, and will end up saving time over the course of the process. And eventually maybe I can get good enough to take this same level of care but still draft at haphazard speed.

I'll give it a shot for science.

No comments:

Post a Comment