Wednesday, October 12, 2011

In which I review a Mideastern fantasy

The Black God's War by Moses Siregar III is the best book I've read this year. The scope of this epic fantasy may not come through in this review, but I'll do my best.

The kingdoms of Rezzia and Pawleon are locked in their tenth year of war, fought mostly around the vast desert canyon at the foot of the Pawelon fortress that guards the entrance to the Pawelon countryside. Both kingdoms sense an end to the war is coming. For Rezzia, their Haizzem, Caio, son of King Vieri, is prophesied to lead the kingdom to victory. For Pawelon, the arrival of Rajah Devak's son Rao, the most powerful sage in memory, promises to save the besieged land from King Vieri's forces. And in the middle of it all, Caio's sister Lucia is haunted by the Black God Danato, one of Rezzia's pantheon of ten gods.

The story is mostly presented from the perspectives of Lucia, Caio, and Rao. The true strength of the book is how even-handed the characters are presented. There are no real evil or good characters, just characters with differing goals and perspectives. Nor are any of the characters archetypes out of an RPG, which is one of my pet peeves with epic fantasy. Siregar plays with his characters perceptions and expectations throughout the book; what is black magic to one character is merely a different way to see the world to a different character.

One of the most magical things about this story is the setting. Rather than the usual northwestern Europe setting, The Black God's War takes place in a location that seems to be an Arabic/Persian/Greek mashup. Think Alexander more than Arthur. Additionally, the magic system is unique and fresh (at least to me), and is a welcome change from your normal ritualistic spellcasting.

Honestly, this is the hardest review I've had to write because I feel like I'm repeating myself. Everything, characters, motives, setting, plot, message, philosophy, fight scenes, love interests, everything in this book is start to finish good. If any element stands above the rest it's probably the magic system, which is closely tied to the overall philosophy and plot, yet it remains subtle enough to stay out of the way of the story.

If I was a professional reviewer I'd have more to say, but I'm not so I'll say this. The Black God's War is the best new fantasy book you can buy, and I include my own novel in that statement. I highly recommend it.

5/5

(My review policy)

1 comment: