Thursday, April 21, 2011

Drafting on slow days

Put up a new story today, clearly. Or rather, not new; it's actually rather old. I wrote it the summer before my last semester of college, which was a rather dark time in my life. Many nights I found myself walking around at night, and the things I saw and/or imagined on those walks had me a little worried for a while.

In fact, I knew I had this somewhere. A few days before I wrote "Of course it's not real.", I saved a file called "hrm.txt" It's pasted unedited below.

For the past couple of days I've been seeing imaginary bugs darting accross the floor, the walls, etc. It's always in my periphreal vision and they always disappear when I look for them. This could do with the earwig I had crawling on me a couple nights ago right when I was about to fall asleep. I've been around bugs my whole life and there's no other reason I have to really fear them. But it is somewhat unnerving. 6-23-06

To me, the interesting part of the story is that I found it creepy enough to include every distinct image in it when I wrote Battlesongs of Hope a year later. The horns-for-eyes monster gives Jacob a scare early on. And the smiling guy in the hat is actually the main antagonist in the book I'm working on now, The Nomad's Wilds.

Speaking of, I'm 15,000 words into drafting Nomad's and have been hitting a pretty good clip these last couple of weeks. Not today though. I'm at one of those spots where I know what has to happen to move the plot, but I just can't get things going.

Part of it is I know that whatever I write for this part probably won't last past the initial edits. It's a narrative in the middle of a book, which is almost always bad practice, but I need to get the ideas down so I can move onto cooler parts. And right now, knowing that has me tripped up.

The good news is I kicked 858, 528, and 600 words on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, which means I almost hit my goal of 2000 words per week already. Won't be getting anything done tomorrow because of a road trip followed by a party followed by chores on Sunday. So I guess that's how things will stand until next week.

I may try to add something about drafting every week on here, on the off chance my books actually find an audience someday. Girlfriend says some strange people enjoy 'relating' to other people, and I suspect that if any of my books do sell copies, some of those readers may want to write their own books. So, future friends, this is the first drafting entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment