Monday, March 7, 2011

Becoming a more sophisticated drunk

I'm an unapologetic beer snob. I drink beer like most people drink pop because I lost my sweet tooth years ago. And while I have my favorite beer (Goose Island Honker's Ale) and my favorite type of beer (American Pale Ale), I'm quite partial to most styles of beer given certain circumstances. Wheat beers are better in summer, and stouts are exclusively for snowy days, for example.

Yet for the longest time, when I felt like drinking liquor I drank whiskey. Scotch at first, until someone turned me on to bourbon so I could branch out. Two ice cubes and a splash of water, pour whiskey on top, stir. Whiskey. Man's drink.

But now that I'm living with a lady, I've been informed that there are OTHER types of spirits. And despite what I learned in college, you can make a mixed drink that doesn't involve pop or kool-aid.

So I've been experimenting, starting with, what else, whiskey. Had to make a stop at the bottom shelf of the liquor store for some Seagram's 7, because mixing $40 Woodford Reserve made me a little ill. I decided I like the idea of an Old Fashioned better than I like the actual drink, and the Manhatten I made tasted like syrup, so it was time to try Science.

After a number of experiments I came up with something I call a Brambly Forest. It's named for its taste; try it and see:

2oz mixing whiskey.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
1 pinch dried mint leaves or 4 fresh mint leaves.
A dash of bitters.
A splash of water to taste.
Muddle the mint in the vanilla and water. Add two ice cubes, and top with whiskey and bitters. Stir.

Some more experimenting lead to what I'm told is a modified Whiskey Sour, but in REAL life is called a Puckered Canadian:

2oz mixing whiskey.
5 drops lemon juice.
Just enough real maple syrup to thinly coat the bottom of the glass.
A splash of water to taste.
Mix the lemon, syrup, and water until the syrup is dissolved, and then top with whiskey and ice. Stir.

No comments:

Post a Comment